December 11, 2006

By the way...

Volleyball playoffs this week, super busy with work... posts coming, but not tonight. Can I just say though, for the record and in all seriousness, there are few artists/performers whom I have higher respect for than Julie Andrews.

I mean, sure, William Shatner is as far as I'm concerned a national treasure and can do no wrong. Do you hear me? NO WRONG. But what I like about him is how he is so brilliant at being a parody of himself.

With Julie Andrews, it's just a pure, honest magical ability to evoke. I'm sitting here watching Mary Poppins, and she just couldn't be more brilliant. And her Guenevere in Camelot, her Eliza in My Fair Lady... Victor Victoria? Come on, Victor Victoria for chrissakes?


There are few living performers I have as much reverence and respect for than Julie Andrews. As Chris Rock said so brilliantly a few years back, there are celebrities, and there are stars. Julie Andrews is the latter; famous for being extraordinarily good at what she does, and not merely for being famous.

She's due to receive a lifetime achievement award next year from the Screen Actors Guild. I don't think there could possibly be enough accolades for the woman who sang the soundtrack of our childhoods for three generations.

I suspect she must be as sick of being called classy as Shatner is of being called the greatest actor of all time. The only thing I can think of that's better than either Julie Andrews or William Shatner would be a movie or show featuring both of them.

2 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger adriaan said...

Oh I so wanted Mary Poppins to be my nanny and hand feed me a spoon full of sugar. I could see it now. She would walk into my play room and I would have this little cough. She would then feed me a spoon full of her magical sugar and I would snap my fingers and all her clothes would fall off.

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sophie and I are watching Mary Poppins as I write this. Do you have super powers to see my life? Sophie has never seen it before. Shatner's Game show is wonky though, have you seen it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home