July 18, 2006

Elegy for a Good Dog



He woke me every morning
at dawn to greet the sun,
and pawed me every sunset
for his evening doggie run

I'd come home from work to find
him woo-wooing at the door,
or a still-warm hairy sofa
while he fake-slept upon the floor

He claimed my evening dinner as
no more than his hors d'oeuvre,
and yappie dogs and cats got chased
as much as they deserve

This was my dog, this king of dogs,
this was the life he led
But age and sickness brought him low
when health and youth had fled.

This dog who fought the ocean
by time-passing was betrayed -
left droopy-eyed and panting
on the table where he laid

In silence I kissed his cheek and
hugged him close and wept,
While peacefully he closed his eyes,
laid down his head and slept.

He passed that day and said goodbye
to a body that would not mend
And as he died I bid farewell
to my true and faithful friend

Godspeed my dear companion,
thou wise and noble beast -
Wait for me upon the bridge,
my Zekey, rest in peace.








Zeke the
Wonder Dog

November 1993 - July 2006

7 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent words my friend.
A great tribute to (almost:) unconditional love.
=t=

 
At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent words - I'm so sorry to hear Zeke is gone.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger adriaan said...

He truly was a king among dogs and a great friend. I will miss you.

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was really touching. You did a wonderful job.

Janna

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was an awsome dog and I will miss him!

Elise

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello-I am Alisa Ikeda's Mom--As an amimal lover in the extreme, you reduced me to dribbling tears!
A wonderful tribute to your buddy.
Ruthie Valentine

 
At 2:25 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Thank you, everyone -

 

Post a Comment

<< Home