July 14, 2006

So quick bright things come to confusion

I'm overwhelmed by the distressing news from the Middle East, and not even sure where to begin. Events keep outpacing my ability to make sense of them, and just as I think I may have worked out what I'd like to say the situation deteriorates further and I'm left, slackjawed, marveling at the speed with which hope can dwindle.

It appears that Israel is on the brink of all-out open warfare with its Arab neighbors for the first time since 1973. The stresses upon the newly elected Kadima party led by Ehud Olmert are staggering - an invisible, intractable enemy with whom there is no compromise, pressures from the few international friends and the numerous international enemies to restrain themselves in the face of daily attacks, an increasingly anti-Israel United Nations from whom no assistance or support can be expected, and the unrelenting bottom line - Israel's citizens are being kidnapped or killed outright with appalling regularity.

Meanwhile, Gaza is without power and water, Beirut is cut off from the rest of the world, the governments of both Palestine and Lebanon are vulnerable to collapse, and Arab allies are lining up to leap to the defense of Lebanon and Syria.

I plan on spending some time this weekend trying to make some sense of it all, as much for my own benefit as I hope for yours.

I'm not a religious man, but for those of you for whom prayers come easily, let them do what they may.

2 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Honey - you have a typo for your first word of this post - "I've" instead of "I'm." Perhaps you'd like to hire me as your editor?
Love you,
Reebee

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Good catch - corrected. Thank you :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home