August 12, 2007

Summertime Dan

A few years ago I remember telling my friend Adam, after he complained that I hadn't done anything with him all summer, "of course not, it's summer..."

Though the exact start and stop will vary from year to year, essentially from July 1 - September 30, I really don't do things. I mean, sure, I'll do some things if I must, but they have to comply with the the basic rules of Dan's summertime activity: if it's indoor there must be air conditioning, and if it's outdoor, it can't require I dress (or even look) nice.

I've been relatively successful this year, though I must admit against my better judgment I've attended some indoor events with a level of air conditioning that could only barely be considered adequate. Most of my family and friends know my temperature requirements, accept them, even enjoy them as a source for comedy. My great friends Dave and Olivia invited me down to their place in Philadelphia for the weekend, and when I hesitated to reply, she suddenly remembered "oh, right - not till October then..."

I've always been uncomfortably warm. Like my father before me, and I assume our fathers dating back to the very first short, hairy Semite who uttered the first "Oy." It's better this year, having lost quite a bit of weight over the past few months, but I don't suspect I'll ever be comfortable with the temperatures that others barely seem to notice.

This past week in particular was very hot. And next week I'm on a stay-cation, hanging out in my apartment and neighborhood, relaxing before we get crazy busy at work this September. So I decided to do something I've wanted to do for years. I don't know if it will help me stay cool, or if it looks cool, but it sure was fun to do.

What do you think?

9 Comments:

At 9:12 PM, Blogger Avid Bruxist said...

Smokin', Dan.

How DID you lose all that weight anyhow? Give it to the needy?

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you joining the (nearly) bald brethern!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger railsmama said...

You pull it off. Looks good! Is it cooler?

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sexy Sexy. I do have AC, and if Kelly pull soff her plan to arrive here at 4pm on Wed, you could come for dinner?

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger adriaan said...

If it will help get you out of the bathroom quicker I love it! :)

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Dude, you know how hairy I am. It takes time to coif an entire back and shoulder region...

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, intense. I like it. Can I touch it?
xoxo

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger pootrsox said...

Dan you look FANTASTIC!!

Now... my place has outstanding AC :)

Come on up and visit during your "stay-cation"!!

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have Central Air now... and more importantly we've been using it... So you're welcome any time!

Love the new look too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home